"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets.
So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance, take it...If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said that it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Big news about my BACK!

Robby and I just got back from the back doctor (14 months since injury). We are still in a bit of shock about our visit. I assumed he was going to say the same thing about waiting to remove the hardware, since I have been doing so well. But...he told me that one of the tips of the screws was poking my lung. The screw could very easily puncture or collapse my lung, but he doesn't really know what the chances are of that happening. As scary as that sounds, he is only mildly concerned about it, but enough to give authorization for surgery.

We also looked at the CT Scan together from September, and there were at least 4 screws not even in the bone, but still attached to the rod of course. He could tell that Robby and I were still on the fence about whether or not to proceed with removing the hardware. And he said, if I was his daughter, he would take the hardware out. So that was enough confirmation for Robby and I that we will most likely have the hardware removed. He said the authorization for surgery is signed and in my chart, so whenever I am ready, we can schedule surgery! I should expect a 2-3 day stay in the hopsital and 6-8 weeks recovery time. He is even going to leave me with a "prettier" scar (he called it cosmetic), which will be nice, not that I am worried about it.

So for now, we will be thinking about how to go about this...scheduling surgery and when the best time for that will be. Please keep your fingers crossed!

Will post more updates as soon as I have more!

0 comments: